Thursday, June 30, 2011

...makeup!!! -Shadows, foundation and blush! Oh, my! What I keep in my make up box and think you should too.


I don't know about you, but my makeup box is chock full of different of brands, colors, shapes, and textures but there are still those ole favorites I go to no matter how many new eye shadow pallets or lipsticks I buy a month. Today's post will go into detail of my many favorites as well as the ones I feel are perfect for every day use and how I like to use them. (As usual I will post the websites next to the products).

First, I start by cleansing my face and neck with Aveeno Clear Complexion Foaming Cleanser. Its great for really washing away the dirt, oils and makeup that may have been left over from last night, but is still gentle enough to use twice a day like I do. http://www.aveeno.com/facialcare/clear-complexion-foaming-cleanser
Next, I apply a concealer that is just ever so slightly lighter than my actual skin color. I apply it with a foundation brush I bought at Target in the Sonia Kashuk Gold Mine collection. Of the two foundation brushes I own, I prefer this one because the bristles come together in a nice way at the top that allow for really nice, even coverage. I also prefer to use a foundation brush as opposed to a concealer brush because unlike the movie stars out there, I require much more cover up than they do... :) I have tried and tested out a lot of different concealers over the years and the one I am currently using is definitely one of my favorites, it does the job in half the amount of other brands and doesn't leave my skin feeling overly "make up'd" in the areas where I applied it when all is said and done. It's called "Fit Me" by Maybelline New York- http://www.maybelline.com/products/21/face/concealer/fit-me-concealer/20-sand/20?shadeId=133
After my concealer I apply a liquid foundation with the same brush. This particular step in my make up routine has been edited many, many times. It just depends on what kind of coverage I am looking for. Usually during the winter I am more prone to use a powder foundation over a liquid because it feels less heavy when I am wearing a ton of layers but I can see why a lot of women opt for powder in the summer. I like to use a new product that was introduced to me through a local grocery store in the area, they sent out samples in the mail plus a $3 off coupon. After I used it I really liked how it went on evenly and didn't leave my skin looking cakey or over done. Its called CoverGirl Natureluxe. It has a built in sunscreen spf 10, my particular shade is 320 Aspen, for fair skin. After my liquid foundation I apply a powder foundation on top, it makes the flawless look last a lot longer and it gives your skin a nice even finish. I like to use Mineralize Skinfinish Natural by M.A.C. http://www.covergirl.com/natureluxesilkfoundation


Following my foundation I apply a blush using a rather large blush brush by Clinique this thing has been with me since I was about 16. I love that brush. :) I like to swirl the brush in the blush and tap off the excess, then holding the brush as far back as I can while still having control
I swirl the blush in small circular motions on the very top/back of my cheek and blend it in so I get some really nice depth and evenness while still looking natural. Again, I use a M.A.C. blush for this. After I apply the blush I apply a sheer M.A.C. Mineralize Skinfinish on top to add a nice glow. http://www.maccosmetics.com/product/shaded/156/329/Powder-Blush/index.tmpl


Finally, I move to the eyes. As you can tell I am very partial to M.A.C. products (plain and simply M.A..C. offers a quality few can contend with) with my eyes I make no exception. Depending on what kind of day I am going to have I may or may not apply an eye primer before I apply my foundation. (An eye primer can be used when you have a particularly long day ahead and need to have a professional and put together look until the very end or when you have an event such as a wedding or party and want to make sure your makeup lasts through all the hugging, kissing, and dancing. You can also use a face primer for the same effect. Most eye and makeup primers make it so that all the makeup applied after will be waterproof and sweat-proof as well as long lasting).
Since I'm posting this in the summer and with no special occasion in mind, I will go ahead and dive on in with my normal everyday routine: first I apply a translucent eyeshadow to my brow bone and the inner corner of my eye, it gives the eye a nice highlighted "awake" look that is natural and cheery. Next I take a slightly darker shade and apply it to the whole eye with the exception of the brow bone, this gives depth and shape, then I apply a complimentary and darker shade to the crease of my eye to give a defined shadowy look and finish up with a medium/dark brown shade to the outside edge of my eye for a teeny bit of drama and color. This simple application makes for a really natural yet colorful look that can be easily transformed into an evening look. My particular shadows of choice (in order or application) are M.A.C. Motif, Satin Taupe, Haux, and Mystery. You can use any colors to make countless variations for any number of different looks. Finally, to top it all off I lightly apply some eyeliner (Walgreens) to my top water line and the corner bottom waterline and liberally apply L'Oreal Mascara. http://www.maccosmetics.com/product/shaded/154/363/Eye-Shadow/index.tmpl


I hope you enjoyed taking a closer look into my classic and everyday favs! I know I had fun sharing them with you. If you have any helpful hints or makeup must haves, just holler! Maybe your favs will end up in the next blog! And remember, if you like my blog say so and pass it on! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment